Project: “First Books for Kids”
Objective: To benefit 3, 4 and 5 year old students at Head Start Facilities and the Indiana Extension Homemaker members through a volunteer reading program.
This program only requires 1 (one) hour, of selected months, from a volunteer. (The number of participating months is determined by the volunteers and Head Start personnel)
The IEHA volunteer will join a classroom on a designated day and read a donated story book to the children. At the end of the reading, the volunteer will present a copy of the book to each child in attendance.
Books are purchased by the county organization through fund raisers, donations, or grants.
Procedure for County Participation:
- Select and Appoint a chair
- Contact coordinator of the Head Start Facility in your county
- Meet and discuss IEHA’s participation and the Reading Program
- Set specified dates with the facility for your volunteers to read
- Purchase books
- Obtain reading volunteers
- Meet with volunteers for training
- Send evaluation form to State Coordinator
Question contact: First Books for Kids – Coordinators
Jo Almond- Chair,
11753 N. Shelby 700 W., New Palestine, In. 46163 317-861-6276
6651 S Harmony Rd. , Bloomington, In 47403 812-825-7763
6900 N.299 E., Whiteland, IN 46184 317-535-9076